Florida Auto Insurance
Owning an automobile is essential in Florida, making the insurance coverage you purchase an important decision. At Strassman Insurance Group, you are assured of working with an experienced team that knows how to tailor an insurance policy to meet your needs for personal and commercial vehicles.
Florida Auto Insurance Requirements
The state of Florida requires a minimum level of the following types of auto insurance coverage:
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – a.k.a. Florida No-fault: $10,000 minimum
- Property Damage Liability: $10,000 minimum
Personal injury protection helps cover medical expenses, work loss and funeral expenses. Property damage liability helps pay for damage you cause to another person’s property in an auto accident. Most Florida drivers choose a higher amount of bodily injury liability coverage than the state minimums to better protect themselves and cover their assets in case of an accident, as medical costs can rapidly – and greatly – exceed $10,000. We do a needs-based review of your liability insurance to see what your needs actually are, to make sure your assets are well-protected.
Buying a policy with higher coverage limits typically results in paying higher premiums, but will better protect you financially if you are ticketed/charged as the at-fault driver in an accident. For example, establishing a maximum payout for each individual who is injured in an accident that you cause – as well as establishing a bodily injury liability limit per accident. This sets a cap on the total amount your insurance provider will pay out for all medical expenses incurred by other people from an accident you cause.
As you are responsible for any costs exceeding your liability coverage limits, purchasing a higher amount of coverage than the minimum can help preserve your assets.
A few words about Umbrella Insurance: Because litigation is commonplace in today’s society, settlement costs resulting from a lawsuit can easily run into millions of dollars – putting your assets and future at risk. You may also want the additional protection of an umbrella insurance policy. Strassman Insurance Group is experienced in offering this type of policy. Our agents will be happy to provide more information and answer your questions.
Other types of auto insurance include:
- Comprehensive – helps to repair or replace your vehicle if it’s stolen, vandalized or damaged by an animal (such as a collision with a deer), fire, falling objects or extreme weather conditions. Comprehensive insurance includes glass replacement. This coverage is typically optional, unless you lease or finance your vehicle.
- Collision – helps pay to repair or replace your vehicle due to damage in a collision with another vehicle or object (such as a fence or guardrail). This coverage is typically optional, unless you lease or finance your vehicle.
- Rental Reimbursement – Covers you for the daily limit you choose for the daily cost of a rental vehicle for up to 30 days while yours is being repaired as the result of an accident. This coverage is optional.
A few words about rental reimbursement: Although optional, this type of coverage is highly recommended for Florida drivers. Even a “fender-bender” will leave you without the use of your car for at least a week. Depending on alternative means of transportation – such as a ride-sharing service or public transportation – itself can be expensive, and could also result in lost time from work and lost wages. All too often, we have seen that the economy of forgoing rental reimbursement coverage is simply false economy.
At Strassman Insurance Group, we believe that addressing your individual needs and concerns results in being a well-informed consumer equipped to make the best decisions. We are ready to start a conversation and answer your questions about auto insurance. Our vision of value is having the finest insurance product, along with competitive pricing. We believe that great value equals true value.