Florida Flood Insurance Policies

Flooding is a serious risk in Florida due to the state’s geography and proximity to water, both inland and on the coast. Insurance to cover this risk is not typically provided in a homeowner’s policy, so it must be purchased separately. Depending on a home’s location, flood insurance may be a required purchase as a condition of a mortgage.


Do you need a Florida Flood Insurance Plan?

Flood insurance policies cover physical damage to your property and possessions from floods or flood-related losses due to rising water in high-risk areas. The federal government operates the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), which can issue flood insurance policies. NFIP is managed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), a component of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

Though the government determines flood insurance coverage and premiums, you can purchase your NFIP flood policy through Strassman Insurance Group – even if you don’t have an existing property policy with us.





Why You Need Flood Insurance in Florida

 Flooding is becoming increasingly prevalent in Florida. Even areas that had never before experienced flood waters are now susceptible. Just a few inches of water in your home can destroy flooring and walls, and trigger other damages, such as mold.

Flood waters also carry toxic chemicals and bacteria from sewage, further contaminating your home. Mitigation, repair and replacement costs can easily overwhelm homeowners who are without flood insurance.

A flood insurance policy can help protect your house, condo, apartment, mobile home or even your business. Most flood insurance policies can include three types of coverage: building coverage, contents coverage and replacement cost coverage. Each of these coverage options offers different kinds of protection.


Your Strassman Insurance Group agent will work with you to write the best flood insurance policy that meets your needs.


Building coverage – Protects the physical structure of your home or non-residential property.

Contents coverage – Insures the items inside your home, such as clothing, furniture, electronics and appliances. Not included in all policies.

Replacement cost coverage – Helps reimburse you for the cost of replacing your home. Replacement cost coverage is only available to owners of single-family, primary residences that are insured to within 80 percent of the total replacement cost. Not included in all policies.

Flood Insurance Limits – An insurance limit is the highest amount your policy will pay for a covered loss. If you have damage or losses over the amount of your policy limit, you are responsible for those costs.


The NFIP offers the following maximum limits for most flood insurance policies:

Building coverage can insure your home’s structural elements up to $250,000, or your non-residential building at up to $500,000. Replacement coverage may be available for single-family, primary residences.

Contents coverage can insure your belongings at up to $100,000 for residential policies and up to $500,000 for non-residential policies. Contents are covered for actual cost value, which is the value of the item at the time of loss – not the item’s purchase price. Replacement cost coverage is not available for contents.


To cover your property for more than the NFIP’s maximum limits, you may be eligible to purchase additional coverage known as an excess flood insurance policy. Our Strassman Insurance Group agents will be happy to provide more information.


Facts About Flood Insurance Coverage and Claims

• The average flood loss is $45,000.

• Nearly 25 percent of all flood insurance claims come from areas not considered high-risk.

• There is a waiting period before your flood insurance policy goes into effect, typically 30 days from the application and premium payment date.

• If flood insurance is required for your mortgage loan, you may not have to wait 30 days. Usually, the loan closing date will be the effective date.

Call For Free Quote!